Tuesday, September 04, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten

DSC_2850


The day that we've been anxiously and excitedly awaiting all summer finally arrived: the first day of kindergarten.

DSC_2931 DSC_2935

Last week we visited the school during their open house, met his wonderful teacher, Ms. Early, and saw his fun classroom.

DSC_2842 DSC_2821 DSC_2829 DSC_2820 DSC_2834 DSC_2837 DSC_2833 DSC_2841 DSC_2846

The anticipation only grew from there.

Last night we read our "going to kindergarten" books and settled in for a good night's sleep before the big day!

DSC_2891 DSC_2903

Aiden could not have been more excited or confident this morning. When we arrived at the classroom, I hugged and kissed him at the door. His teacher asked him if he remembered where his seat is. He said "Yep!" and walked in without a backward glance. In that moment, I felt both incredibly proud and profoundly sad. He is growing up. 

DSC_2966 DSC_2972 DSC_2986

He had a GREAT first day! He loves his teacher, he already knew several of his classmates from the neighborhood and preschool, and his favorite part of the day was building with blocks.

DSC_2948 DSC_2949

Our only hiccup of the day involved this:

DSC_2923

My beautiful prepared and packed lunch with a special note and stickers.

Apparently he did not even look in his backpack for his lunch box (I mean, really, what would it be doing in there?!) and told the cafeteria manager that I forgot to send him one. So she allowed him to purchase one, creating a negative balance on our school account.

Let's not discuss my reaction to that news.

He now knows *exactly* where to find his lunch each day, and his teacher is now aware that he is only allowed to purchase one with a note and money from me.

At least that means that I don't have to pack a lunch tonight! :) 

DSC_2954 DSC_2961

I still feel slightly overwhelmed by the newness of school and schedules, but I know we'll adapt quickly, and all in all, I think we'll have a GREAT first year!

Looking forward to Caleb's first official day of preschool next Monday!

3 comments:

Grandma Grandpa K said...

Grandma and Grandpa Karrer are Sooo very proud of you Aiden!!! What a great first day! Hugs from Kalamazoo.

Art Teacher said...

I can't even stand that last picture of you two together! He is so big...See you tomorrow :)

Art Teacher said...

I can't even stand that last picture of you two together! He is so big...See you tomorrow :)