Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Story of Stories

Well, let me take a moment and embarrass myself in typical Josh fashion. This is a true story.

Beth and I have developed a specific schedule in how to manage the many early morning feedings. I wake up Aiden; at times this is a 15 minute ordeal. Beth feeds him; I sleep. At the halfway point, I wake up to change him and then pass him off to Beth to finish the meal. When you do this every two hours, you become flat out exhausted and delirious. Books have been written about the crazy things people do in the middle of the night while battling lack of sleep. Let me tell you what happened a couple of weeks back when Aiden was only a few days old and when we were still adjusting to this pattern of sleep.

The alarm went off at 3am; this was already the 3rd feeding of the night. I was tired, exhausted, and you will find out soon that I was confused and delirious. I turn off the alarm and got out of bed to go wake the baby. I typically, pat Aiden’s back, bounce him, and roll him over a lot so he doesn't get cozy and fall back to sleep. Well, I got up, but instead of going to the baby, I grabbed the alarm clock, put it on its back and started patting it. Yep! I rolled it over a couple of times, bounced it a little, and tried to wake up the stupid thing. I did this for a couple of minutes. I remember stopping, staring at the clock, and saying “I don’t know what I am doing. The cord in the back is getting in the way. How am I suppose to burp the baby around the cord?” Yep....still confused. So I tried finagling the cord so the clock could lay on its back without leaning. I woke Beth up and asked her what I was supposed to do. She said, “Wake up the baby”. I said, “Where is the baby?” I was finally coming to. She said, “In the crib.” At that point, I fully came to my senses and quietly and discretely put the clock back on the night stand, trying to pretend that nothing ever happened.

Mom and baby were both still too asleep to know what had just taken place. This would have been a great story to just keep to myself for my own personal preservation. However, this is also a great story to share :)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

mikegodz said...

Hilarious! You don't really know sleep deprivation until you have kids.