Wednesday, June 27, 2012

{Summer Bucket List} Visit a farmer's market!

DSC_0612

The boys and I visited a local farmer's market this evening before dinner, checking off yet another summer bucket list activity! I really didn't need anything and only had a few dollars left to spend on groceries this month anyway, so we decided that we'd go just to see what was being offered and if we could buy anything with the little cash that we had on hand.

DSC_0603
{Does he look so much older here or is that just me?!}

DSC_0614 DSC_0624 DSC_0598

Today felt like a perfect summer's  day- sunny and warm but not sweltering or suffocating. Families milled around, perusing the bright and colorful farmers' stalls full of just picked fruit and veggies, fresh eggs, pretty flowers, and honey, complete with a showcase of bees and honeycomb! Yes, real bees!

DSC_0604

The kids LOVED it! I think we visited the bees four times in the twenty minutes that we were at the market!

DSC_0608
{Can I just say that I love that Libby has her little cubby with her? Adorable!}

As for our purchases, for $7 we walked away with an entire mint plant, a bunch of basil, a small squash, three banana peppers, two balls of garlic, a pint of blackberries, and several pieces of honey candy. I'm excited about using mint in my smoothies and fruit salads this summer, fresh basil on top of homemade pizza this weekend, and blackberries in muffins tomorrow! We'll also be roasting the garlic,  squash, and banana peppers with zucchini from our own garden at some point!

DSC_0621

I think it's safe to say that we'll be heading back to the farmer's market soon!

2 comments:

Art Teacher said...

Your pictures are great from tonight. Can I just say how jealous I am that your sweet boys smile so nice for pictures! They are adorable!

Meg said...

Of course, this is my favorite bucket list activity! You got so much, I think your prices must be even better than ours. I think they both look so grown up.